You are in: Home » About SCAR
SCAR, the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research, is a committee of ICSU, the International Council for Science, and it is charged with the initiation, promotion and co-ordination of scientific research in Antarctica. SCAR also provides international, independent scientific advice to the Antarctic Treaty system and other bodies.
The membership of SCAR comprises the appropriate bodies of those national scientific academies or research councils which are the adhering bodies to ICSU (or by some other means, if a country currently has no national organisation adhering to ICSU) and which are, or plan to be, active in Antarctic research, together with the relevant scientific Unions of ICSU.
There are three categories of membership: Full Members, ICSU Scientific Union Members and Associate Members. Full Members are those countries with active scientific research programme in Antarctica, currently 31; Union Members are those ICSU scientific unions that have an interest in Antarctic research, currently 9; and Associate Members are those countries without an independent research programme as yet or which are planning a research programme in the future, currently 6. In addition, there are the Honorary Members of SCAR; those individuals who have, over many years, rendered outstanding service to SCAR and scientific research in Antarctica.
The National Committee of each Full Member of SCAR appoints a Permanent Delegate and an Alternate Delegate to SCAR; ICSU Unions appoint a single Union Delegate; and Associate Members appoint a Delegate. These delegates attend the bi-ennial SCAR Delegates Meeting.
SCAR Research Groups, Data Management Groups and Standing Committees
- Standing Scientific Group on GeoSciences (SSG-GS)
- Standing Scientific Group on Life Sciences (SSG-LS)
- Standing Scientific Group on Physical Sciences (SSG-PS)
- Standing Committee on Antarctic Data Management (SC-ADM)
- Standing Committee on the Antarctic Treaty System (SC-ATS)
- Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SC-AGI)
- Standing Committee on Finance - this can only be accessed via the members' page which is password protected.
SCAR TRAVEL CLAIMS FORM and Information
- Please return all completed Travel Claim Forms to Rosemary Nash at the SCAR Secretariat.
SCAR is registered as a Company and a Charity in the UK: Company Number 6564642; Charity Number 1124840