Joint Committee on Antarctic Data Management (JCADM)
SCAR and COMNAP have undertaken a review of the Joint SCAR/COMNAP Committee on Antarctic Data Management (JCADM) (http://www.jcadm.scar.org/) Texel, March 31-April 1, 2005. JCADM brings together the managers of National Antarctic Data Centres, and is responsible for management of the Antarctic Master Directory (AMD), hosted by NASA's Global Change Master Directory (GCMD). The AMD is intended to comprise a one-stop-shop for access to the metadata that concern Antarctic data sets.
The Review Team noted that
- There are now over 3000 entries in the AMD [1326, July 2001; 2116, July 2002; 2544, April 2003; 2966, June 2004; 3094, March 2005];
- The number of countries adding metadata has increased from 9 in 2002 to 19 in 2005;
- The number of AMD users has grown from 100/month in Jan 2003 to 450/month in March 2005;
- A number of countries have set up national portals with the AMD (2 in 2002, to 15 now).
A report on JCADM will be finalised by the end of May for submission to the meetings of the SCAR and COMNAP Executive Committees in Sofia, Bulgaria, in July.
The Review Team comprises:
- Lesley Rickards, BODC, IODE
- Alessandro Capra, Geosciences SSG
- Maurizio Candidi, Physical Sciences SSG
- Ad Huiskes, Life Sciences SSG
- Berry Lyons, Director Byrd Polar Res Centre, Ohio State.
- Colin Summerhayes, SCAR
- Ted Scambos, National Snow and Ice Data Centre, Colorado Uni.
- Anders Kalqvist, representing COMNAP
- Heinz Miller, representing COMNAP
The JCADM review group at work at NIOZ, Texel. Taco de Bruin (left), Berry
Lyons, Ad Huiskes, Maurizio Candidi, Lesley Rickards
(foreground), and Alessandro Capra (right).