5 January 2017:
We are pleased to share the pdf 2017-2022 SCAR Strategic Plan (1.49 MB) . The plan was written by a team of dedicated SCAR-affiliated scientists and leaders (listed below) over the course of 2016, in consultation with SCAR’s Delegates, National Committees, Partners and concerned scientists and educators.
SCAR’s vision is to create a legacy of Antarctic research as a foundation for a better future. In line with this vision, through scientific research and international cooperation SCAR will establish a thorough understanding of the nature of Antarctica, the role of Antarctica in the global system, and the character and effects of environmental change and human activities on Antarctica. SCAR's work in the next five years will focus on key objectives:
- To amplify its leadership in Antarctic research by further strengthening and expanding high-quality collaborative and visionary Antarctic research, including observations from Antarctica;
- To offer independent scientific advice to Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings and other bodies dealing with Antarctic and Southern Ocean matters;
- To enhance and grow research capacity in SCAR member countries;
- To enhance public awareness and understanding of Antarctic issues through communication of Antarctic research results in a timely and accessible manner; and
- To facilitate unrestricted and free access to Antarctic research data.
As part of our efforts to reduce our environmental impact, we will not be printing a large quantity of these plans as the pdf is available online. If you would like a printed copy, please fill out the online request form before 31 January or contact the SCAR Secretariat.
We would particularly like to thank the Core Writing Team for their many hours of work:
Huw Griffiths, Julian Gutt, Daniela Liggett, Yan Ropert-Coudert, Aleks Terauds, Anton Van de Putte, Jerónimo López-Martínez and Jenny Baeseman.
And much appreciation to the larger SCAR Leadership group for constructive feedback through the process:
Karin Lochte, Azizan Samah, Bryan Storey, Terry Wilson, Nancy Bertler, Dave Bromwich, Carlota Escutia, Adrian Fox, Jesus Galindo, Graham Hosie, Berry Lyons, John Storey and Steven Chown.
This new plan replaces “ pdf Antarctic Science and Policy Advice in a Changing World: SCAR Strategic Plan 2011-2016 (1.59 MB) ” and went into effect on 1 January 2017.