The SCAR Strategic Plan 2011-2016 called for the formation of a committee to identify sources of external funds and develop a strategy to diversify SCAR’s financial resources beyond membership fees. The council also acts as an 'umbrella' for SCAR funding proposals.
The council is currently considering:
- Future membership of the Development Council - how best to extend the core membership;
- Promotional Materials - development of new materials such as a new SCAR brochure;
- High Likelihood Targets for Fund Raising – main targets for fund raising such as SCAR Capacity Building activities, horizon scanning efforts, climate change communications, conservation efforts etc.;
- Partnerships - recognition that fundraising partnerships with other organisations should be pursued when beneficial to all organisations.
The Development Council helped to create a SCAR Brochure in 2014. Download it here.
Rather than following a rigid regional structure, the suggestion is to have a somewhat smaller core membership, supplemented with additional co-opted representatives either for specific scientific activities, or for specific identified solicitation tasks. The current membership is summarised below.
- Chair – P Convey, UK
- O Orheim, Norway (opportunities and approaches to Nordic counrties)
- K Lochte, Germany, VP for Capacity Building, Education and Outreach
- J Xavier, Portugal
- S Rajan, India– sub-continental funding opportunities (also SCAR senior visiting fellowships)
- S Azizan, Malaysia – approaches to non-aligned and Middle Eastern nations/foundations
- P Barrett, New Zealand
- E Costa, Brazil –S. American APECS community and opportunities
- M Aljoaan, Kuwait/Belgium – capacity building, early career, and Middle Eastern opportunities
Other links and background documents:
191 KB140 downloads
93 KB107 downloads
219 KB153 downloads
150 KB136 downloads
pdf SCAR Bulletin 183 - 2012 September - Report of the XXXII SCAR Delegates' Meeting, Portland, USA, 2012 Popular446 KB160 downloads
354 KB94 downloads
149 KB89 downloads
Note: SCAR Bulletin 183 contains the original Terms of Reference for the Development Council.