The Development Council was established in 2011 and suspended at the Delegates Meeting in June 2018. This web page is now an archive of information about the group.
The SCAR Strategic Plan 2011-2016 called for the formation of a committee to identify sources of external funds and develop a strategy to diversify SCAR’s financial resources beyond membership fees. The Development Council also acts as an 'umbrella' for SCAR funding proposals.
The council is currently considering:
- Future membership of the Development Council - how best to extend the core membership;
- Promotional Materials - development of new materials such as a new SCAR brochure;
- High Likelihood Targets for Fund Raising – main targets for fund raising such as SCAR Capacity Building activities, horizon scanning efforts, climate change communications, conservation efforts etc.;
- Partnerships - recognition that fundraising partnerships with other organisations should be pursued when beneficial to all organisations.
The Development Council helped to create a pdf SCAR Brochure (1.37 MB) in 2014.
Rather than following a rigid regional structure, the suggestion is to have a somewhat smaller core membership, supplemented with additional co-opted representatives either for specific scientific activities, or for specific identified solicitation tasks. The current membership is summarised below.
- Chair – P Convey, UK
- O Orheim, Norway (opportunities and approaches to Nordic counrties)
- K Lochte, Germany, VP for Capacity Building, Education and Outreach
- J Xavier, Portugal
- S Rajan, India– sub-continental funding opportunities (also SCAR senior visiting fellowships)
- S Azizan, Malaysia – approaches to non-aligned and Middle Eastern nations/foundations
- P Barrett, New Zealand
- E Costa, Brazil –S. American APECS community and opportunities
- M Aljoaan, Kuwait/Belgium – capacity building, early career, and Middle Eastern opportunities
Other links and background documents:
SCAR Fundraising and Donations Policy 2017
- Making a donation to SCAR
- pdf Minutes from September 2013 Meeting at the British Antarctic Survey, Cambridge, UK (192 KB)
105 KB437 downloads
191 KB651 downloads
93 KB607 downloads
219 KB627 downloads
192 KB378 downloads
150 KB605 downloads
pdf SCAR Bulletin 183 - 2012 September - Report of the XXXII SCAR Delegates' Meeting, Portland, USA, 2012 Popular446 KB656 downloads
356 KB590 downloads
149 KB558 downloads
Note: pdf SCAR Bulletin 183 (446 KB) contains the original Terms of Reference for the Development Council.