The SCAR Open Science Conferences are held every two years to draw attention to Antarctic issues. They provide an opportunity for scientists from a variety of disciplines and countries to present their work, to network and become more involved in SCAR science activities.
If you are interested in hosting the biennial SCAR Meetings, please see:
Examples of successful bids:
- pdf Bid from Australia for Hobart 2020 (1.79 MB)
- pdf Bid from Switzerland for Davos 2018 (632 KB)
- pdf Bid from Malaysia for Kuala Lumpur 2016 (195 KB)
- pdf Bid from New Zealand for Auckland 2014 (256 KB)
9th Open Science Conference
The physical 2020 conference and meetings have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.XXXVI SCAR was scheduled to be held in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia from 31 July to 11 August 2020
"Antarctic Science - Global Connections"
31 October 2019357 KB1682 downloads
30 April 2019208 KB150 downloads
SCAR 2020 Online
SCAR plans to move some of the key elements of the OSC online. This will be done through a combination of live-streaming during the week of the original OSC (3rd-7th August 2020) and recorded presentations. We plan to feature a selection of the plenary presentations as well as highlights of SCAR’s concluding scientific research programmes and potential future programmes. We hope that as many as possible will take advantage of the opportunity to take part. We have an excellent line-up planned including
- plenary speakers Dr Valerie Masson-Delmotte (co-chair, working group I, IPCC), Dr Daniela Liggett (Gateway Antarctica, University of Canterbury, New Zealand), Professor Nerilie Abram (Australian National University) and Dr Juliana Vianna (Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile).
- mini-symposia including ‘Antarctica in a warming world; regional changes, global consequences and future commitments’ convened by Dr Nancy Bertler, Dr Florence Colleoni and Dr Ceridwen Fraser ; Highlights of SCAR’s Current Scientific Research Programmes and SCAR’s Future Scientific Research Programmes.
- workshops on inclusive collaborations, FAIR data, Argo floats, SCAR’s capacity building activities, and more
There will also be a number of thematic text-based discussion fora and interactive opportunities such as a virtual meeting hub.
Registration will open during the week beginning 6th July and will be free and open to all.
From mid-July anyone who had an abstract accepted for the cancelled OSC meeting in Hobart, will be invited to share material (posters, presentations, etc) via the conference platform. Viewing will open in the last week of July.
If you have any questions about our plans don’t hesitate to get in touch via info[at]scar.org.
8th Open Science Conference
XXXV SCAR, Davos, Switzerland, 15-26 June 2018
"Where the Poles come together"
11 September 2018128 KB290 downloads
11 September 201898 KB254 downloads
11 September 201882 KB198 downloads
Meeting Highlights by Juliana D'Andrilli, published in Limnology and Oceanography Bulletin, DOI: 10.1002/lob.10275
7th Open Science Conference
XXXIV SCAR, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 20-30 August 2016
"Antarctica in the Global Earth System: From the Poles to the Tropics"
30 August 2016686 downloads
30 August 2016494 KB384 downloads
6th Open Science Conference
XXXIII SCAR, Auckland, New Zealand, 22 August to 3 September 2014
"Global Messages from Antarctica"
03 September 2014452 downloads
03 September 20142.15 MB286 downloads
03 September 2014460 KB266 downloads
03 September 2014552 KB277 downloads
03 September 2014114 KB265 downloads
5thOpen Science Conference
XXXII SCAR, Portland, Oregon, USA, 16-19 July 2012
"Antarctic Science and Policy Advice in a Changing World"
19 July 2012219 KB224 downloads
19 July 2012244 KB294 downloads
19 July 2012552 KB320 downloads
19 July 20124.30 MB335 downloads
19 July 2012943 KB234 downloads
4th Open Science Conference
XXXI SCAR, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 3-6 August 2010
"Antarctica – Witness to the Past and Guide to the Future"
06 August 2010296 KB247 downloads
06 August 2010304 KB271 downloads
06 August 2010358 KB237 downloads
3rd Open Science Conference
XXX SCAR, St Petersburg, Russia, 8-11 July 2008
"Polar Research – Arctic and Antarctic perspectives in the International Polar Year"
2nd Open Science Conference
XXIX SCAR, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 12-14 July 2006
"Antarctica in the Earth System"
1st Open Science Conference
XXVIII SCAR, Bremen, Germany, 26-28 July 2004
"Antarctica and the Southern Ocean in the Global System"