XXIX SCAR Delegates Meeting
17-19 July 2006, Hobart, Australia
SCAR XXIX WP15: Report of the SCAR Standing Scientific Group on Physical Sciences (SSG-PS)
Working Paper 15
Agenda Item: 4.3
Posted/Revised: July 16
Person Responsible: Turner
Standing Scientific Group on Physical Sciences Report to the Delegates, SCAR XXIX July 2006
SCAR funding for the next 2 years (in USD) - $17K in both 2007 and 2008
Summary of five main achievements:
- The cross-SSG workshop in Amsterdam established links with the Life Sciences SSG for the provision of future climate scenarios for the assessment of environmental change during the next century.
- The MOSAK workshop on the Antarctic wind field produced an important report assessing our current understanding of the near-surface flow across the continent.
- A cross SSG workshop on climatic, biological and cryospheric variability was organised for SCAR XXIX.
- The PASTA Action Group has shown that the Antarctic plateau is the best place on Earth for surface-based astronomy.
- The ISMASS Expert Group and the ITASE project have facilitated the publications of a major review of Antarctic mass balance through a special volume of Annals of Glaciology.