SCAR Executive Committee Meeting
4-7 July 2005, Sofia, Bulgaria
SCAR EXCOM 2005 11b: Implementation Plan for Antarctic Climate Evolution (ACE)
Agenda Item: 6.1
Deadline: 1 June
Person Responsible: Siegert/Dunbar
- An 11-person steering committee is proposed to include a range of expertise sufficient to lead the programme.
- Six sub-committees are being established to implement the science programme. Membership of these committees allows ACE to widen involvement in the programme in terms of expertise, gender and nationality.
- ACE steering committee officers have a 3-year term of office (co-Chairs will stand down in 2008). The sub-committee structure of ACE allows future involvement in the steering committee from a wide-range of scientists.
- A website has been constructed to inform the public, media, schools and colleges, and scientists about the progress of the project (www.ace.scar.org).
- ACE has already established a strong record of publishing scientific findings in peer-reviewed journals (e.g. papers in Nature and Geology, plus special issues of Global and Planetary Change, vol. 45, 2005, and Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, vol. 198, in press). An edited book on ACE is being planned for publication in 2007.
- A timetable of activity has been defined, and dates/locations of forthcoming meetings have been coordinated with major international symposia.
- Plans for outreach, education and data management are in line with SCAR advice.