Plastic in Polar Environments (PLASTIC-AG) 2018-2020 Report
Action Group of the Life Sciences Group
Report Author(s): Claire Waluda (UK), Cath Waller (UK), Ilaria Corsi (Italy), Elisa Bergami (Italy), Clara Manno (UK)
Summary of activities from 2018-20
- POLAR 2018 Open Science Conference, 17 June 2018, Davos, Switzerland. Establishment of “Plastic at the Poles” Action Group (PLASTIC-AG) attended by members from 23 countries. Report available at: https://www.scar.org/library/science-4/life-sciences/plastic/5180-plastic-workshop-2018/
- Establishment of the mission, declaration of the expected achievements, logo design agreed.
- Development of the PLASTIC-AG webpage on the SCAR website, set up of mailing list and organization of AG events.
- First AG workshop entitled “Plastic in the Polar Environment: sources, impacts and solutions” (October 28-29 2019), hosted by the Energy and Environment Institute (EEI), University of Hull (UK) and sponsored by AirB&B and Hurtigruten. This was attended by 45 scientists from 14 countries. Report available at: https://www.scar.org/scar-news/plastic-news/workshop-report-2019/
- Special issue of Environment International (Elsevier, IF 7.943) entitled “Plastics in Polar Regions”. Guest editors (Ilaria Corsi & Elisa Bergami). The special issue includes 10 key research papers from the Plastic-AG community on plastic pollution in Arctic and Antarctica. A selection of these are listed in Additional Information below.
- Establishment of Plastic AG Early Career Researcher network (currently more than 25 members) for sharing activities, upcoming events and opportunities.