SCAR Executive Committee Meeting
31 July - 2 August, Brno, Czech Republic
SCAR EXCOM 2017 Paper 12: Report on SERCE Activities and Plans
Solid Earth Response and influence on Cryosphere Evolution (SERCE), 2016-2017 Report
Agenda Item: 2.2
Person Responsible: P. Whitehouse / M. King
Report Author(s): Pippa Whitehouse (Durham University, UK) Matt King (University of Tasmania, Australia)
Summary of activities from 2016-17 and any other important issues or factors:
- Leadership of SERCE passed from Terry Wilson to Matt King and Pippa Whitehouse during SCAR2016. Steering committee membership has been updated; it now comprises 17 members at a range of career stages, from 12 different countries.
- A SCAR-hosted mailing list has been created for SERCE (195 subscribers), and the SERCE website has been updated to include statements in support of Antarctic infrastructure (geodetic and seismic), and open access data sharing.
- SERCE-facing conference sessions have taken place at SCAR 2016 (including co-sponsorship of a mini-symposium), EGU 2016/17, AGU 2016/17, AGU-JpGU, and IAG-IASPEI.
- A Glacial Seismology Training School was held in June 2017 (USA), and a workshop on Glacial Isostatic Adjustment (GIA) and Elastic Deformation will take place in September 2017 (Iceland). Both activities received significant funds from SERCE.
- A data sub-group has been formed, and is working with Quantarctica developers to upload SERCE-facing data sets to this open source resource.