“SCAR Action Group on the Development of a satellite-based, Antarctic-wide, remote sensing approach to monitor bird and animal populations” 2018-2020 Report
Action Group of the Physical Sciences/Life Sciences Group
Report Author(s): Osama Mustafa & Hans-Ulrich Peter; Germany
Summary of activities from 2018-20
- Organizing an Action Group Meeting during the Polar2018 Conference in Davos with presentations from Colin Harris, Fritz Hertel, Roger Colominas, Christian Pfeifer, Heather Lynch & Fabian Reise
- Providing input for the Information Paper 10 of XLII ATCM (Prague 2019) “An update to the state of knowledge of wildlife responses to unmanned aerial vehicles” .
- Since 2016 Communication with the European Space Agency (ESA) resulted in a regular coverage of Antarctic coastline by Sentinel-2 every 10 days from September 2018 to April 2019.
- Organizing an Action Group Meeting during the SCAR OSC in Hobart , Joint meeting with SOOS working group CAPS (cancelled)
- Future plans: Integration of our remote sensing AG into the Earth Observation Action Group.